SHU Student to be Honored During Annual MLK Jr. Dinner Jan. 21; SHU Also Plans Unity March and Rally
Siena Heights University senior Ramon Sherrell is this year’s recipient of the Martin Luther King Jr. Student Service Award. Sherrell will be honored during the annual MLK Dinner at 6 p.m. Jan. 21 in the Tobias Room on the campus of Adrian College.
Each year, the Lenawee County Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee recognizes a student from both Siena Heights University and Adrian College for their outstanding service. This year the committee will also award someone from Jackson Community College.
The MLK Jr. Student Service Award recipient was chosen by a selection committee comprised of faculty and staff from various campus divisions. Sherrell will receive a plaque and a monetary scholarship. Other SHU students nominated for the award were Onicko Biggs, Andre’a Davis and Kevin Mizzi.
The following criteria was used by the selection committee:
- Nominees must be a student of color (African American, Latino/Latina, Native American, Arab American, Asian American or International student of SHU)
- A sophomore, junior, or senior
- Involved in both on-campus and off-campus activities
- Active in raising awareness of issues concerning or affecting students of color
- Involved in activities which promote cultural awareness
In conjunction with Martin Luther King Jr. Day, there will also be a unity march at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 21 that will start at Adrian City Hall and finish at Lumen Chapel on the SHU campus. There will also be a MLK Rally from noon-1 p.m. Both events are sponsored and planned by Siena Heights University SHAAKA and Intercultural Affairs, Christ Temple, Ogden Church and the NAACP.